Sunday, March 22, 2009

Chapter 13 and 14

"A clump of pigeons is resting on the telephone wire. They flutter up into the sky, the wire bouncing up and down. For the first time I feel like I can run, fast. And I run all the way to the bus." (p. 119)
This is when she was going on the bus to go meet Tareq at Dunkin' Donuts. I thought it was awesome because she felt like she could run and usually she feels fat and slow. I think she felt like running because she was excited that she could help her Abba and maybe because she was anxious how Tareq was going to help her. When I read chapter 13 I wondered what Tareq would do to help. Before when he gave Nadira his number to call him if she ever changed her mind about needing help, he talked about getting green cards, but not in the usual way. But then I went on to chapter 14. He's going to help her by taking her money to buy a green card or something. When he shows her the gun in his glove compartment, she has no reaction, but when she sees the gun just laying there in the house they go into, she freaks out. She gets scared and decides not to go through with whatever Tareq was going to do to help. She tells him that she can't do it and she runs away into the darkness. I thought it was kind of stupid to runaway and she has no clue where she's going.

"Then I run again, blindly, into the dark streets."

I thought that quote connects with the first quote I have. Both chapter 13 and 14 end with Nadira running. First she's running to catch a bus to meet Tareq. And then she's running away from Tareq and we have no clue where she's going. And I also wonder if she has the money or has she already given it to Tareq?

No comments:

Post a Comment